Race Weekend Update
Larson wins at Auto Club: Elk Grove's Kyle Larson won the Auto Club 400 Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series race at Auto Club Speedway for his 1st win of the season, 1st win at Auto Club, and 2nd career win. Larson started from the pole and dominated much of the race, leading 109 of the 202 laps.
#2-Keselowski finished second followed by #14-Bowyer, #78-Truex, Jr., #22-Logano, #1-McMurray, #19-Saurez, #18-Busch, #21-Blaney, and #24-Elliott.
#42-Larson led at the end of the first stage, with Truex, Jr second. Truex, Jr. lead at the end of stage 2, with Larson 2nd.
- Larson: first driver to win Cup Series race at California after leading first lap
- Clint Bowyer finished 3rd; first top 5 since Bristol in August 2015 (snapped 52-race streak without top 5)
- Martin Truex Jr.: finished 4th; first top-5 finish in 17 career California races
- Daniel Suarez: finished 7th; 2nd straight 7th-place finish after finishing 20th or worse in first 3 career MENCS races
- Dale Earnhardt Jr.: finished 16th in 600th career Cup Series start
- Jimmie Johnson: finished 21st; first time he's ever gone first 5 races of season without top-5 finish.
Kyle Larson's eventful day in California wasn't over when he left the race track:
Larson, 24, was involved in a wreck as he was leaving Auto Club Speedway on Sunday night. According to a Ganassi Racing representative, Larson was involved in "a minor fender bender leaving the track". He was not behind the wheel at the time of the accident.
The Chip Ganassi Racing driver tweeted:
Got in a car accident leaving the track but thankfully our @TeamChevy Suburban kept us safe and nobody was injured!
The Elk Grove, California native is scheduled to return home this week to race with the World of Outlaws on Wednesday at Placerville Speedway.
NEXT RACE: This weekend at Martinsville Speedway; TV Sunday on FS1 at 11 a.m. PT
Antron Brown will co-host Top Gear America on BBC this year
Reigning NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing Series Top Fuel champ Antron Brown will be a host this season on BBC America's new show, Top Gear America, joining actor and racing enthusiast William Fichtner and auto journalist Tom "Wookie" Ford.
With a nod to its UK roots, the reimagined U.S. spin-off of Top Gear will appear on BBCA with eight hour-long episodes starting later this year.
Top Gear America will review not just exclusive and state-of-the-art vehicles, but also the cars of America's culture-defining past. From the latest supercars to the ultimate in automotive engineering technology, Top Gear America will put the viewer in the passenger seat alongside the car-obsessed hosts, as they race the most incredible vehicles on the scenic highways and historic tracks of the American west.
NEXT RACE: This weekend at The Strip at Las Vegas Motor Speedway; TV LIVE Sunday on FS1 at 3 p.m. PT.
VIDEO: Penske Games: Chubby Bunny: http://www.indycar.com/Videos/2017/03/03-26-Penske-Games-Chubby-Bunny
NEXT RACE: Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach, April 7-9
AT SONOMA RACEWAY
- NO Wednesday Night Drags or Sonoma Drift this week!
- CSRG hits the track for the David Love Memorial This Weekend: csrgracing.org/contentpage.aspx?Id=7022#The David Love Memorial
- Race fans invited for IndyCar Test and Blood Drive on Tuesday, April 4: sonomaraceway.com/media/news_archive/thirteen-indycar-drivers-set-test-sonoma-raceway-april-race-fans-invited-out-for-free-test-day-blood-drive.html