Traffic Advisory Sonoma Raceway Hosts GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma This Weekend, Sept. 16-18
SONOMA, Calif. (Sept. 14, 2016) - Sonoma Raceway will host the GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma Verizon IndyCar® Series season finale this weekend, Sept. 16-18.
Traffic on the surrounding roadways may be impacted, particularly the two-lane stretches of Highways 37 and 121. The raceway expects traffic to be most affected during the following days/times:
- Friday, Sept. 16: Raceway events should not impact road conditions.
- Saturday, Sept. 17: Raceway events should not impact road conditions.
- Sunday, Sept. 18: Between 10 a.m.-3 p.m. and 5 p.m.-8 p.m.
The heaviest traffic is expected on Sunday, and race fans heading to the track are advised to arrive early to avoid traffic and enjoy the complete race-day experience before the green flag falls at 3:30 p.m.
The raceway's traffic management plan includes an array of measures intended to divert ambient traffic from the adjacent highways on race day. Some of these initiatives include:
- A total of 46 changeable message signs—nine more than last year—will be distributed along highways up to a 15-mile radius around the facility directing ambient traffic away from Highways 37 and 121.
- Seven signs placed along Highway 121 to direct raceway guests to the appropriate entry gate. The signs will also help explain lane delineation for raceway and Sonoma/Napa traffic.
- The raceway will employ a traffic manager, who will work closely with a CHP officer to provide real-time direction to maximize ingress and egress for raceway traffic.
Sonoma Raceway has worked closely with the CHP and Caltrans to develop and execute this plan, which will utilize more than 30 CHP and Caltrans workers on race day.
To ensure sufficient parking for guests with disabilities, Sonoma Raceway will continue to work with the Sonoma County Sheriff's Office on a stringent placard check. Sheriffs will check each car and driver for its Handicap Placard, matching paperwork with name and placard number and a valid Driver's License. Persons displaying fake or placards that are not their own will be fined, ticketed and required to appear in court.
For more information about the GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma, visit www.sonomaraceway.com/indycar or call 800-870-RACE.