Race Weekend Wrap Up
- Superman (Johnson) wins at Auto Club:#48-Jimmie Johnson, running a Superman paint scheme, won the Auto Club 400 Sprint Cup Series race at Auto Club Speedway for his 2nd win of the season, 6th win at Auto Club Speedway (the most of any driver) and 77th career win, which allows him to pass Dale Earnhardt (76 wins) for 7th all time. #4-Kevin Harvick led the most laps 142 of 205 laps. The race ended in NASCAR Overtime when #18-Busch had a tire go down with two laps left in the race. Harvick led the race when the caution came out. All the leaders made pit stops for new tires, Harvick came out 2nd and #11-Hamlin came out with the lead. Johnson came out 3rd but took the lead on the first overtime lap and kept the lead to win the race.
- #4-Harvick finished 2nd, followed by #11-Hamlin, #22-Logano, #17-Stenhouse Jr., #24-Elliott (best career finish), #19-Edwards, #47-Allmendinger, #2-Keselowski and #1-McMurray.
- #88-Batman (Earnhardt Jr.), was never a factor but was able to finish 11th. The pole winner, #3-Austin Dillon ended up with a 24th.
- There were two hard wrecks. The first was on lap 46 when #42-Larson had a rear tire go down, causing his car to slap the outside wall, which then shot the car across the track, with no brakes, hard into the SAFER wall on the inside wall. Larson was OK. On lap 120, #10-Patrick was running 19th when she passed #5-Kahne. Kahne came down after the pass, but misjudged and clipped the #10 rear end, causing it to spin and slam the outside wall. Patrick was OK, but not happy.
- #24-Chase Elliott (sixth) was the highest finishing rookie.
- #4-Kevin Harvick leads the point standings by 11 points over Jimmie Johnson.
NEXT RACE: NASCAR is off this weekend for Easter; Next race at Martinsville Speedway, April 3
Brittany Force raced to her first career victory and took control of the Top Fuel point standings Sunday at the Amalie Motor Oil NHRA Gatornationals. Robert Hight (Funny Car), Greg Anderson (Pro Stock) and Eddie Krawiec (Pro Stock Motorcycle) were also victorious at the third of 24 events in the 2016 NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing Series season.
Leah Pritchett raced to victory in Phoenix three weeks ago, and with Force's victory in Gainesville, this is the first time since 1990 that female Top Fuel racers have won back-to-back events. Pritchett's Phoenix win was also the first of her career, so Gainesville marks the first time there have been back-to-back first-time Top Fuel winners since 1993.
John Force Racing doubled up for the first time in team history as Hight pushed his Auto Club Chevrolet Camaro SS Funny Car to a 4.429 at 280.95, outrunning Ron Capps' 7.047 at 89.05 in his NAPA Auto Parts Dodge Charger R/T. This is Hight's first win in 2016 and third at Gainesville.
NEXT RACE: The NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing Series travels to Las Vegas, April 1-3, for the Denso Spark Plugs NHRA Nationals at The Strip at Las Vegas Motor Speedway.
Haas F1 Team Earns Points in Debut Race: The Haas F1 Team, owned by NASCAR Sprint Cup Series team owner Gene Haas [Stewart-Haas Racing #4, #10, #14, #41], made history before and after the 32nd Australian Grand Prix Sunday in Melbourne. The organization's debut in Round 1 of the 2016 FIA Formula One World Championship marked the first time an American team had competed in Formula One since 1986. And after ending a 30-year drought for an American squad in Formula One, Haas F1 Team ended another drought for an organization's maiden F1 race. After starting 19th, Haas F1 Team driver Romain Grosjean finished an impressive sixth, earning the team eight points in the constructor standings.(full post at haasf1team.com)(3-20-2016)
At Sonoma Raceway
- Wednesday Night Drags and Sonoma Drift this Wednesday
- Bracket Drags on Saturday
- Z2 Motorcycles on Sunday