Indy Grand Prix of Sonoma Pit Notes
Infineon Raceway will host the Indy Grand Prix of Sonoma, Aug. 26-28. Below are some points of interest regarding previous IZOD IndyCar® Series events at Infineon Raceway:
- The Indy Grand Prix of Sonoma has featured six different winners since the series’ first visit to Sonoma in 2005: Tony Kanaan, 2005; Marco Andretti, 2006; Scott Dixon, 2007; Helio Castroneves, 2008; Dario Franchitti, 2009 and Will Power, 2010.
- Will Power reset the qualifying record in 2010 with a time of 1 minute, 16.5282 seconds at 108.337 mph.
- Dario Franchitti’s wire-to-wire win in 2009 was the first time a driver led all laps to a win in INDYCAR since Richmond (2003).
- Marco Andretti won his first-ever INDYCAR race at Infineon Raceway in 2006. At 19-years, 167 days, Andretti became the then-youngest driver in history to win a major open-wheel event. Andretti also claimed victory at Infineon Raceway in the 2005 Firestone Indy Lights event.
- 2008 marked the first year that the unified INDYCAR and Champ Car World Series competed in the Sonoma Valley.
- Dario Franchitti has led the most laps in INDYCAR competition at Infineon Raceway with 137.
- Tony Kanaan has the best average finish of any INDYCAR driver who has competed in all five races at Infineon Raceway at 5.67 (1st in 2005, 11th in 2006, 4th in 2007, 3rd in 2008, 8th in 2009, 7th in 2010).
- Eighteen cars finished on the lead lap at Infineon Raceway in 2008, the most ever.
- The 2005 INDYCAR event at Infineon Raceway marked the first major open-wheel event at the Sonoma facility in 35 years and the first permanent road-course event in the 10-year history of INDYCAR.
- Justin Wilson reset the track record for the biggest improvement from qualifying to finish at 15 when he went from 22nd to 7th during the 2009 INDYCAR main event.
- Tony Kanaan and Scott Dixon are the only two drivers to complete every lap of all six INDYCAR events at Infineon Raceway.
- Helio Castroneves, Scott Dixon, Tony Kanaan, Danica Patrick and Dan Wheldon are the only drivers who have competed in all six INDYCAR events in Sonoma.
- Dario Franchitti is the only INDYCAR driver to boast two poles at Infineon Raceway (2007, 2009).
- Three of the six Indy Grand Prix of Sonoma winners have started from the pole (Castroneves, Franchitti, Power).
For tickets or more information, call 800-870-RACE (7223) or CLICK HERE.