Indy Cars Hit the Streets of San Francisco
Verizon IndyCar Series championship contenders Simon Pagenaud and Will Power will pilot their No. 22 and No. 12 Team Penske Indy cars down the world-famous Embarcadero roadway in San Francisco this Thursday, Sept. 15. The two race cars will be led by the Astor Challenge Cup championship trophy in a two-seat Indy car. The series culminates its championship this weekend at Sonoma Raceway at the GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma.
After parading down the scenic Embarcadero, the drivers, cars and trophy will be parked in the PIER 39 Entrance Plaza for photo opportunities. Fans are encouraged to cheer them on along the route and meet them at PIER 39. Parking is available at the PIER 39 Parking Garage directly across the street.
The drivers will begin the parade route at 11:45 a.m. and end at PIER 39 at approximately noon. Boudin Bakery will also be on hand to present a replica Astor Cup trophy made of its renowned sourdough bread.
This event is being held in advance of this weekend's GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma, which will serve as the season finale for the Verizon IndyCar Series season. The championship will be decided between Pagenaud and Power on raceway's 12-turn road course on Sunday. Tickets can be purchased at sonomaraceway.com or by calling (800) 870-7223.
- Simon Pagenaud, No. 22 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Chevrolet, points leader
- Will Power, No. 12 Verizon Team Penske Chevrolet, trails Pagenaud by 43 points
- Pagenaud and Power will drive their Indy cars down the Embarcadero in San Francisco and finish at PIER 39.
- Thursday, Sept. 15, 11:45 A.M.
- PIER 39, Beach St and The Embarcadero, San Francisco