GoPro Indy® Grand Prix of Sonoma Pit Notes
GoPro Indy® Grand Prix of Sonoma
SONOMA, Calif. (Aug. 21, 2012) — The raceway in Sonoma will host the GoPro Indy Grand Prix of Sonoma, Aug. 24-26. Below are some points of interest regarding previous IZOD IndyCar® Series events in Sonoma:
- Will Power became the first repeat INDYCAR winner in Sonoma after claiming back-to-back wins in 2010 and 2011. The race has featured six different winners since the series’ first visit to Sonoma in 2005: Tony Kanaan, 2005; Marco Andretti, 2006; Scott Dixon, 2007; Helio Castroneves, 2008; Dario Franchitti, 2009; and Power, 2010 and 2011.
- The GoPro Indy Grand Prix of Sonoma will be the first race on the newly modified 12-turn 2.31-mile layout. The IZOD IndyCar Series competed on 12-turn 2.303-mile layout from 2005-2011.
- Dario Franchitti set the qualifying record in 2011 with a time of 1 minute, 16.4792 seconds (108.406 mph).
- Marco Andretti won his first-ever INDYCAR race in Sonoma in 2006. At 19-years, 167 days, Andretti became the then-youngest driver in history to win a major open-wheel event. Andretti also claimed victory in Sonoma in the 2005 Firestone Indy Lights event.
- 2008 marked the first year that the unified INDYCAR and Champ Car World Series competed in the Sonoma Valley.
- Will Power has led the most laps in INDYCAR competition in Sonoma with 144.
- Eighteen cars finished on the lead lap at Infineon Raceway in 2008, the most ever.
- The 2005 INDYCAR event marked the first major open-wheel event at the Sonoma facility in 35 years and the first permanent road-course event in the 10-year history of INDYCAR.
- Justin Wilson reset the track record for the biggest improvement from qualifying to finish at 15 when he went from 22nd to 7th during the 2009 INDYCAR main event.
- Scott Dixon is the only driver to complete every lap of all seven INDYCAR events in Sonoma.
- Helio Castroneves, Scott Dixon, Tony Kanaan and Danica Patrick are the only drivers who have competed in all seven INDYCAR events in Sonoma.
- Four of the seven Indy Grand Prix of Sonoma winners have started from the pole (Castroneves, Franchitti, Power - twice).
- The United States Auto Club (USAC) held an Indy car race in Sonoma in 1970. Dan Gurney won the race.
- There have been five different pole winners in the previous seven races at Sonoma. Ryan Briscoe (2005), Scott Dixon (2006), Dario Franchitti (2007, 2009), Helio Castroneves (2008) and Will Power (2010-11).
- Three drivers entered in this weekend’s event – Rubens Barrichello, Katherine Legge and Josef Newgarden – will make their first attempt to start an IZOD IndyCar Series race at Sonoma.
- Team Penske has won at Sonoma three times, including the last two races with Will Power. Target Chip Ganassi Racing and Andretti Autosport have each won twice at Sonoma.
GoPro Indy® Grand Prix of Sonoma Weekend
WHAT: Big O Tires Racing Season Presents: GoPro Indy Grand Prix of Sonoma
WHEN: Aug. 24-26
CIRCUIT: 2.31-mile, 12-turn road course
2011 WINNER: Will Power (Team Penske)
NOTABLE: The weekend will include Brasil IT+ Pole Day on Saturday, Aug. 25, as well as the Cadillac Sonoma World Challenge and Formula Car Challenge.
TICKETS: $10-$65 single day/$65-$85 weekend; parking is FREE and kids 12 and under are FREE (Friday and Saturday). Garage passes are available for purchase.
INFORMATION: 800-870-RACE (7223), racesonoma.com/indy, ticketmaster.com